Saturday, February 5, 2011

Poor Little One: The Case of the Burned Paw

Poor little Winston reached up and touched the stove after I had popped some stove-top popcorn.

After playing in a sink full of cold, cold water with toys, he ate popcorn and watched some movies of him and his cousins for a little while. Then he started screaming and touching his little hand.

He only looks mad because he wants the camera...his hand hasn't bothered him at all today.

I looked more closely at it, then consulted my trusty Baby 411 book about what else I could do to ease the burn pain. It said to take him to the doctor if it looked like it did. I called my mom, who is also a nurse, to see if I really needed to take him in--I didn't want to overreact. She said I should.

He just pointed to this photo on the blog and said, "ow-ee. Oww-ee. Oww-ee."

Now, he's lathered in cream and bandaged like a little mitten. With 1st and 2nd degree burns, and without his Papa (he was camping last night), Winston's been a good sport.

What gets me the most, is that a few minutes before he did it, I was thinking about the time my little niece reached up and grabbed the curling iron. I was wondering when/if Winston would ever do something like that. I'm always so careful to push the curling iron away, or make sure he is away from hot things. But, he's getting taller, and more and more curious...

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, poor little Winston. :( That sure is a cute mitten-style bandage though.

Merrilee said...

Poor little guy! Burns hurt so bad! I hope he gets feeling better soon!

Lisa said...

Poor kid. All of them do it at some point or another, though. So hopefully he understands better about hot things and this is the worst burn he ever gets... right?

Diane said...

So sad! Jaden got burns on both hands from my flat iron. It was AWFUL! He still has scars from it too, SAD! I hope he heals quickly!