Saturday, February 19, 2011

Month of Love: Teaching

I just got done teaching a class, and I got some great comments and compliments on the class. On my drive home I thought about how much I like teaching.

I remember during college I was asked to teach for the Relief Society group at my church. I only had to teach one Sunday a month, and my manual was a book on teachings of a prophet, but each lesson read more like a book than a lesson plan. That first class I was really nervous. But I got used to it quickly and really looked forward to teaching.

I also remember the first time I taught a class on credit management as part of one of my internships. My supervisor, who is now a dear friend and colleague, was there watching, observing, and taking care of the rest of the details of the financial management series while I taught. There was also a camera crew in the back filming to make a video. I was a nervous wreck! I look back reflecting on how much I have learned and grown in the teaching arena. This past Fall at an inservice, I actually gave a presentation on effective teaching skills to my peers and our nutrition educators. I feel like I've come a long way.

Those firsts were almost 7 and 5 years ago, respectively. My teaching style has changed a little, and continually does. Now, as part of my job, I teach very often, and sometimes on the fly. Sometimes it's for work, sometimes I speak or teach at church. I love it. I kind of speak the same way I teach--I mostly just write down an rough outline and take along any specific quotes I want to read word-for-word. My favorite presentations are with audiences that participate a lot, like the one I taught today.

Since Sam and I have moved a few times in the last year or so, we have spoken 6 times or so in church over the last 2-3 years. The first of those, I actually tried to write out my talk word-for-word, but I couldn't do it. I love the flexibility an outline gives me. It's easier to skip a section if I don't have time, or to add to a section if I need more time. That's just the way I do it.

There have been times where I feel opposite of how I do right now. I finish teaching or presenting and think that I totally misgauged the audience and can sense it wasn't clicking with them. I do my best to adapt what is needed for the next time.

But today was a perfect class. I love teaching.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

Those are some of the best moments :)